There was an error in this gadget

Sunday, 25 May 2014

One year on

Well, we have been here one year and two days. And what a year it's been. We have learned so much and worked so hard. I thought we had come here to retire! But we are loving (most of) it. We have wonderful neighbours, a beautiful country, amazing weather generally, great wildlife. We have time for each other, know more people than we knew in the UK. We eat lovely food, more and more of it home grown.

On the negative side. We will never come to terms with the lack of animal welfare. There is so much poverty in certain areas. I wish ex-pats of all nationalities could get on with each other and enjoy this beautiful place. Dave, being more sociable than me, misses friends and colleagues in the UK and the mental challenge of his old job. And Bonnie hates thunder, June is going to be horrible for her.

We are feeling more positive about being able to stay here long term, always the goal but a worry about how the money will last. We don't need to work, just to earn a little to eke out our pennies. This year we should be much more self sufficent in food, hoping that we will only have to buy staples such as dairy, flour, rice and pasta once all the potential produce has been processed. We are hoping that jams and chutneys made from the produce will pay for the sugar, vinegar, gas and bottles we need to process our own food stock. And that the eggs we sell while the hens are laying well will pay for their food. That we get enough from the chicks to pay for rearing them, though they have not been a real success and we are not going to do much of this in the future. The geese will pay for themselves, already two are booked for Christmas. People are getting to know me for cakes and cards and asking for specially made products. Dave has now had on average more than one commission a month for his pet portraits, not a huge amount made, but a little goes a long way here.

I have had an amazing 30,000 page views for my blog, it is hard for me to understand why people from all over the world would want to know what we are up to. Fittingly, this figure was reached just after midnight the day after our arrivel anniversary. I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their support, for sticking with us, and especially for the comments and feedback we occasionally get, it is much appreciated and thank you so much.

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your one exciting year! I admire you for your courage to pull up stakes and follow your dream. One of the things that I would love is the sense of community which seems to exist there and doesn't in the world I live in. Here's to the seton year, even better than the first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Cynthia. I know what you mean about community. I didn't even know our next door neighbours' names in the UK.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on your first year. Whatever happens in your future you have lived your dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maggie. That is exactly our attitude.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your anniversary! I always enjoy reading your posts especially as I go skiing each year to Bulgaria, this helos to give me insight into other parts of the country. Thanks for continuing to write your blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma, and thank you. If ever you get the chance to explore Bulgaria it really is worth the time, it is so diverse. I wish we could afford the time and money to see more.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on your first year in Bulgaria. You have made a huge success of new life. Having arrived here permanently this May we are inspired by your enthusiasm towards embracing a new culture and never being afraid to take on new projects. If we could achieve half of what you both have we would be extremely pleased. Heres to a great second year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie. I would love to hear how you are getting on. I hope the local community are treating you well and helping you out. If we can help with anything please feel free to ask. I can't remember if I gave you our email address.

      Delete
  6. This is the first blog where I have read more than a couple of entries, not only has your years journey been very interesting it is also very well written and flows really well. I have always had an interest in bees ever since reading that Sherlock Holmes retired to Sussex and took up beekeeping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again. Though there are times when I am in a bad mood or can't think of anything to write and I think that comes through sometimes. This is the first time I have written anything since I left school in the early seventies! I had never been interested in reading blogs until I started to research Bulgaria and one in particular was close to what we wanted to do...but not enough pictures, I do like to see what people are talikng about. This particular lady wrote about the bad as well as the good.
      http://blog4bulgaria.blogspot.com/
      She doesn't do it any more because she has a job....writing...which came from this. But she has been here nearly ten years and speaks Bulgarian and is well integrated into village life. I know her now, she lives less than an hour away. Another blogger I started to read tried to rip us off re buying a property! I avoid that person.

      And yes, bees are totally fascinating and it was me who wanted them originally, but being a trifle unsteady sometimes I decided against dealing with them...tripping or wobbling not recommended!

      Delete